Launch Nature Outlook
PBL Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency has the pleasure of inviting you to the launch of our Nature Outlook report: ‘European nature in the plural - Finding common ground for a next policy agenda’ on 23 March in Brussels.
To attend, please register.
European Nature in the plural
EU biodiversity policies and regulations have been immensely valuable for the protection of nature in Europe. Despite these efforts, challenges still remain: ensuring sufficient space for nature, improving nature considerations in economic sectors, and encouraging activities that are beneficial for nature, such as nature protection, conservation and development. Greater societal and political engagement is needed to halt further biodiversity loss.
‘European Nature in the plural’ explores a new approach in facing these challenges by tapping into the various perspectives people have on nature. European citizens enjoy nature’s diversity in many different ways. They may admire the scenery, the many animals and plants, the products and services nature provides, the economic opportunities it offers, or the stories around it. This plurality of the ‘value of nature’ could be used more extensively in biodiversity strategies in order to find common ground for policies beyond 2020.
At the launch, PBL Director-General Hans Mommaas will present the highlights of the report, showing how the multi-perspective approach may serve policymakers at EU, national and regional levels. Mr Roel Feringa, Director Nature and Biodiversity of the Ministry of Economic Affairs (The Netherlands) will then officially present the report to Mr Humberto Delgado Rosa, Director Natural Capital at DG Environment of the European Commission. A panel of four speakers will then reflect on a number of topics for debate, including how nature could contribute to the sustainable future of EU farming, and how citizens could be reconnected to nature in an urbanising world.
We look forward to welcoming you at this event, which will take place on 23 March 2017, at the Sofitel Brussels Europe hotel (Place Jourdan 1, 1040 Brussels). This venue is conveniently located near the European Quarter.
12:15 Registration and lunch
13:15 Opening and welcome
- Hans Mommaas, Director-General, PBL Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency
- Four perspectives on the future of nature in Europe – videos
- Context of the project – Roel Feringa, Director Nature and Biodiversity, Ministry of Economic Affairs The Netherlands
- European nature in the plural. Finding common ground for a next policy agenda – Hans Mommaas
- Reaction by the European Commission – Humberto Delgado Rosa, Director Natural Capital, DG Environment
14:15 Coffee/tea break
14:45 Debate Session
- Achieving our biodiversity targets: the need for a shared agenda for nature conservation - Alberto Arroyo, Senior policy manager IUCN European Union Representative Office
- Increasing nature’s relevance for a sustainable future of the agricultural sector – Myriam Pérez-Dumoulin, Scientific program officer, Agropolis Fondation & French representative Young Professionals for Agricultural Development
- Strengthening the connection of citizens with nature – David Jamieson, Parks and Greenspace manager, City of Edinburgh Council & Chair of Board greenspace scotland
- Reflections on the debate – Humberto Delgado Rosa
- Closing remarks – Hans Mommaas
16:30 Drinks reception
More information: Mirjam Hartman (PBL's spokesperson) via firstname.lastname@example.org.