Detlef van Vuuren (1970) is a senior researcher at PBL Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency and a professor in Integrated Assessment of Global Environmental Change at the Faculty of Geosciences, Utrecht University. His research concentrates on response strategies to global environmental problems using integrated assessment models and other tools. As such, he participates as part of the IMAGE integrated assessment modelling team.
He is also member of the board of the Integrated Assessment Modelling Consortium (IAMC) and member of the Working Group on Coupled Models of the World Climate Research Programme (WCRP). He participates in the editorial board of Climatic Change and Earth System Dynamics. Detlef van Vuuren had a coordinating role in the development of the Representative Concentration Pathways (RCPs) now used in the IPCC’s assessments. Detlef van Vuuren has participated as (Coordinating) Lead Author in various assessments such the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment, UNEP’s Global Environmental Outlook, the International Assessment on Agricultural Science and Technology Development, and the OECD Environmental Outlook. Detlef van Vuuren has also a member of the scientific boards of several DG Research projects. He has published more than 160 articles in refereed journals including Nature, PNAS, and Environmental Research Letters.
- Utrecht University, Master of Science Chemistry
- Utrecht University, Master of Science Environmental Sciences
- Leiden University, Propaedeuse Public administration sciences
- Utrecht University. PhD Energy systems and climate policy.
- 1996 Utrecht University
- 1996-2001 RIVM Bureau of International Cooperation
- 2001-now PBL Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency
- Professor Integrated Assessment Utrecht University